NW MI Arts & Culture Network
Call for Artists: 2022 Artist in Residence, Alpena Wildlife Sanctuary
Artists are invited to apply for the 2022 artist-in-residence program at the Alpena Wildlife Sanctuary, located in Alpena, Michigan.
Artist Residency Description
The artist-in-residence program at the Alpena Wildlife Sanctuary was created in 2009 to provide artists from a variety of disciplines the opportunity to creatively explore through art the natural beauty of the 500-acre wildlife sanctuary. The artist may create a work in the medium of their choice on water-based themes related to this beautiful natural park, which includes a natural island and various ecosystems. Selected artists in the past have included painters and sculptors, and we invite applicants from a variety of media.
The residency provides artists with up to two weeks on location in picturesque Alpena, Michigan, located on the shores of Lake Huron. The residency period, which will occur during July or August, will be chosen by the artist with final scheduling done upon approval by the Sanctuary Board.
The selected artist will live on a property with a lovely Victorian residence, in a fully furnished apartment (with wi-fi) above the Aden Carriage House, which includes studio space for the artist.
The selected artist will be asked to create and donate to the Sanctuary an original piece of work representative of their medium, produced during the residency. This artwork should be inspired by the natural beauty that can be found at the wildlife sanctuary and the nearby river, and is meant to characterize the Alpena landscape for present and future generations. The donated work will be displayed in the Sanctuary park or shared publicly through other appropriate means.
Once selected, the artist-in-residence will be asked to share their knowledge by offering a workshop, a talk, or at least one public demonstration of the artist at work.
Please be aware that the residency includes living space for the artist, and does not include travel expenses to Alpena, meals or art supplies. The residency will be in a location near coffee shops, local restaurants, churches, and shopping.
How to Apply
Interested artists are invited to send their completed application by email to:firstname.lastname@example.org. The email must be received no later than March 31, 2022.
The artist selection will be made on the basis of merit, and without regard to race, religion, sex, marital status, age or ethnicity. The selected participant will be notified by email or by phone by May 31, 2022.
A completed application will contain the following:
1. Your resume of no more than two pages, which includes a summary of creative works (exhibits, shows, galleries, published list, etc.). Please include an email address and phone number.
2. Statement of purpose: a statement from the applicant explaining what they hope to gain and how they expect to grow as an artist through the residency.
3. At least three and no more than six clear digital photos of your work sent in jpeg format. Include title, medium, and size for each work. Email these to residency coordinator Sheri Waldrop at email@example.com with “Artist in Residence Application” in the subject line.
4. A statement of willingness to, and how you will engage the public through your work.
5. A statement of your willingness to donate a freshwater themed piece of work inspired from
your stay in Alpena.
7. A list of your preferred two residency periods between July 1 and September 30, 2022.