Big Water Creative Arts, Inc.
Big Water Creative Arts is dedicated to promoting the arts in the Great Lakes region through education, instruction, interaction and performance. BWCA programs and activities are supported in part by an award from the Michigan Arts & Culture Council and the National Endowment for the Arts.
On April 7, 2016, BWCA, Inc. (a 501c3 not for profit corporation) was born. BWCA’s initial programs were songwriting classes for elementary and middle school students.
Since then, we’ve partnered with and brought music programs to elementary, middle and high schools such as Petoskey Montessori Children’s House, Mackinac Island Public Schools, Mancelona Public Schools, Wolverine Public Schools, Pellston Public Schools, Gaylord Public Schools & Cheboygan Public Schools. We’ve also partnered with Crooked Tree Arts Center in Petoskey, the Great Lakes Center For The Arts in Bay Harbor, The Bergmann Center in Charlevoix, and the Bay View Music Festival in Petoskey to bring music workshops and programming to kids, adults and special needs adults in northern Michigan.
As of 2022, we have expanded our programming from Songwriting 101 to include Music Exploration, Beginning Ukulele, Community Sing, Rock Jam and have partnered with Good Hart Artist Residency, Blissfest, Michigan Arts Access and Crooked Tree Art Center on music programming.
What We’ve Accomplished So Far
- Elementary and middle school Songwriting 101 classes & workshops
- Songwriting 101 workshops for special needs adults
- Music Enrichment classes for special needs adults
- Music Enrichment classes for seniors
- Community Sing classes joining elementary students and seniors
- Group instrumental instruction for seniors
- Sponsored performances at local music/art festivals
- Middle school Music Exploration classes
- Rock Jam programs for middle school and high school students
- Original composition and dance collaboration