NW MI Arts & Culture Network
Call for Art: BACN
Benzie Area Christian Neighbors (BACN) has a Call for Art to be created in their new facility which is due to be completed in Fall 2022. The mural will be created on a wall area in the main entrance corridor.
Project Overview: The mural will incorporate a hand-carved, wooden replica of a Schwinn bicycle donated for artistic display by artist Kurt Swanson. The bike will be located in the top right corner of the wall and the mural should incorporate a path leading to the lower left corner. The overall space is 24’ x 10’ feet with the bike measuring 55 inches in length and 44 inches in height. Thanks to the Grand Traverse Regional Community Foundation, the selected artist will be awarded $2000 to cover supplies and a stipend.
Thematic: Original artwork should be inspired by and creatively reflect the Benzie County area with a theme of “pathway to sustainability”. The color palette should be complimentary with the new building aesthetic, thereby excluding fluorescent and metallic hues. Artwork that is inherently political, religious, or otherwise exclusive of any factor of social stratum shall be deemed inappropriate for this project.
Artist Eligibility: Eligible artists must be 18 years or older and reside within the state of Michigan. Artists submitting work for consideration will assure the following: the artwork is solely the result of the artistic effort of the artist. The artwork is original and does not infringe upon any copyright or the rights of any person, literature, illustration of books or publications. The artwork must be free and clear of any liens from any source whatsoever.
Application requirements and considerations:
- Applications and rendering due no later than May 1, 2022
- A letter of interest and a short bio should accompany the preliminary rendering.
- The artwork will be selected by a panel, no later than June 1, 2022
- The selected artwork must be completed by the official opening of the new building.
- Send proposals to: email@example.com or proposals may be delivered in person to: BACN, 2804 Benzie Highway, Benzonia or delivered via USPS to: BACN, PO Box 93, Benzonia, MI 49616