Sounds of Summer Across the Network
QuinTango (above) has been sharing its re-imagined tango music in the most creative ways across regions this past week as part of Interlochen Public Radio‘s IPR Live series with performances at the Historic Barns Park in Traverse City, as part of the Manitou Music Series at Glen Arbor Arts Center, and as an MACC minigrant project at the Garden Theater in Frankfort. This is just a sample of the many events coming up across the Network soon, including:
- 40th Annual Blissfest Folk & Roots Festival: July 8-10 in Harbor Springs .Info here
- IPR Live 2022 Summer Concert Series continues with pop-up concerts featuring PULSE : 7/30 in Charlevoix; 7/3 in Traverse City. Info here
- Great Lakes Chamber Orchestra’s Rocking with the GLCO Pops featuring Rockapella, 7/16. Info here
- Traverse Symphony Orchestra’s Sherry Milliken Reum & Family Summer Concert Series at the Botanic Gardens at the Hisoric Barns Park, 7/3 & 8/4. Info here
- Michigan Legacy Art Park’ss Summer Sounds concerts. Friday, 7/1-8/12
- Crooked Tree Arts Center – Petoskey, Charlotte Ross Lee Concerts in the Park 2022, Wednesdays & Fridays, 12-1 through 8/19 in Pennsylvania Park in Petoskey. Info here
- Grand Traverse Pavilions Community Concerts on the Lawn. Thursdays, 7/7-8/25 A MACC Minigrant Project. Info here
- Leelanau Community Culture Center’s Music in the Air series on Thursdays. Info here.
- The Garden Theater’s Live at the Garden Series in Frankfort. Info here.
- And, musical performances throughout the summer at the Ramsdell Regional Center for the Arts in Manistee, Great Lakes Center for the Arts in Petoskey, the City Opera House in Traverse City and so much more.
New Zoom Roundtable Skills Sharing
Starting with July’s Roundtable, we will tap into Network expertise to share new skills, tools and resources that may benefit the “Work of Arts & Culture” that we all do, in addition to our regular member sharing for announcements, new opportunities and other news. July 7 will feature Lisa Thauvette of Tilt Think on ways we can use improv techniques in our work as well as services that may be accessed. In August, Interlochen Public Radio social media intern Karen Jane Ludwig will present a Digital Marketing Toolbox webinar on 8/4. Join us and invite colleagues – 1st Thursday of each month, 10am via Zoom. Zoom link here.
Tilt Think at July 7 Roundtable
Improv can be a tool as well as entertainment. Meet one of the Network’s newest members to learn more and, perhaps, tap into new tools
or opportunities to collaborate.
Lisa Thauvette, owner of Tilt Think.
August Roundtable Shares Digital Tips & Resources
IPR intern Karen Jane Ludwig will present a digital marketing webinar during the 8/4 Roundtable, sharing strategies, tools and resources to expand your online presence and connect impactfully with new audiences. Thursday, 8/4, 10am. Zoom link here
Are you a Rising Leader?
Michigan Arts & Culture Council is now accepting applications for the 2022-2023 cohort of Rising Leaders (running 10/2022 – 4/2023). Deadline to apply is Friday July 29, 2022. Rising Leaders is a rigorous and highly interactive personal development initiative committed to the advancement of Michigan’s arts leaders. Program participants from across Michigan gain tools and perspective needed to strengthen their leadership skills and develop relationships with an extraordinary cohort of peers dedicated to advancing the arts and culture field. Past Network alumni include Megan Holtry(Dennos Museum Center), Caroline Barlow (Blissfest) and Elizabeth Adams (Leelanau Historical Museum) Info/Application here
Right Brain Seeks Art
Right Brain Brewery in Traverse City is looking for artists of all media interested in hanging and selling their art now through December. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org along with a few examples of your work.
Dennos Holiday Market Applications Due 7/25
The Dennos Museum Center is accepting applications for its annual juried Holiday Artist Market, 11/4-5. The market is newly formatted to a table fee model moving away from the commission based structure of previous years. Special programming will be planned making this a fun event for all ages and admission is free to all. Deadline 7/25. Info/Application here.
State History Nominations Due 7/29
The Historical Society of Michigan is accepting applications in numerous categories for its annual awards program. The State History Awards recognize people, programs, and publications that have furthered the understanding and appreciation of history throughout the state. Information here
Building, Accessing, and Using Contemporary Anishinabe Collections of the MSU Museum, 7/6
Join this free virtual talk on Wednesday, July 6, 7pm about caring for contemporary Anishinabe collections with Dr. Marsha MacDowell, curator of folk arts and director of the Michigan Traditional Arts Program and Lynne Swanson Cultural Collections Manager, Michigan State University Museum. Register here.
Latest Creative MI Advocate
The newest edition of Creative MI Advocate is available with a comprehensive look at issues, resources and pending legislation impacting arts and culture at the state and federal level, including good budget news for MACC in the State of Michgian budget.. Link here to read. Link here to subscribe.
State of the Sector Data: Michigan Arts and Cultural Landscape Through the Early Stages of the Pandemic
From city to countryside, arts and cultural organizations across the state of Michigan have reopened, but the full impacts of the pandemic have yet to be uncovered. In partnership with the Michigan Arts and Culture Council, Dr. Zannie Voss takes a deep-dive look into what the latest data reveals about the state of the sector. Info/Webinar recording here.
Summit Recordings Online
Recordings & resources from the 2022 Northwest Michigan Arts & Culture Network are available on the Network website. Videos for each morning panel and presentations – The New Normal: Arts & Culture 2022; Funding Our Future: Trends & Strategies; The Power of Partnerships; Network 2.0 and Fundraising Roundtable – are under Summit Resources, link here.
Bridge Builder Grants Close 7/10
Michigan Municipa League is accepting applications for its Bridge Builder Neigborhood and Main Street placmaking microgrants. Deadline is 7/10. Information/application link here.
Here are a few of the latest articles and blog posts that we’ve been reading:
Please share your trending topics. Email: email@example.com.
Minigrant Info & Webinars
MACC Applications are open through 8/3 for:
- Arts & Culture Projects (up to $4,000)
- Professional & Organizational Development (up to $1,500)
- School Equipment & Supplies (up to $1,500)
- School Bus Transportation for Arts & Culture Field Trips ($500)
Interested? Apply at macc.smartsimple.com. Info here or the Network website (Opportunities)
Webinars and Drop-in Q&A are available on:
- Wednesdays, 7/6, 7/13, 7/20 & 7/27 at 1pm
- Fridays 7/15 & 29, at 9am
- By appointment – contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zoom link to attend
See Local Minigrants in Action in NW MI
Want to see some of our minigrant projects in action, visit the Network’s new Minigrant Spotlight page on the website. Link here.
| May this holiday weekend be filled with music, arts, culture and the creative spirit|
that fills our Northwest Michigan region