NW MI Arts & Culture Network
NW MI Receives $917,219 in MACC FY23 Funding
47 Regional Arts & Cultural Organizations & Community Projects Benefit From Annual Awards
Michigan Council for Arts & Cultural Affairs awarded 44 FY23 grants totaling $917,219 to 34 organizations located in Northwest Michigan. Funding was approved at the September 16, 2022 Council meeting and included awards for operational support, project support, capital improvements, arts in education, new leaders and regional regrant for use October 1, 2022 – September 30, 2023. An additional 14 organizations will benefit from minigrants immediately, with additional minigrantees named in early 2023. Regional funding represents a 34% increase over FY2022.
MCACA provides grants to encourage, initiate and facilitate an enriched artistic, cultural and creative environment in Michigan. Funds are appropriated each year in the state budget. $12,445,413 in total FY23 funding was awarded throughout the state.
Northwest Michigan Arts & Culture Network is the regional partner and administers the MACC regrant program for Antrim, Benzie, Charlevoix, Emmet, Grand Traverse, Kalkaska, Leelanau, Manistee, Missaukee and Wexford counties, also known as “Region 2.” Regrant funds are used for minigrant projects and professional development. 14 organizations will share $32,500 in fall minigrants while an additional $17,300 will be awarded early next year.
Regional recipients of MACC grants by county include:
- Antrim, $22,500: Crosshatch Center for Art & Design;
- Benzie, $132,612: Benzie Area Symphony Orchestra, Benzie Area Historical Society, Elizabeth Lane Oliver Center for the Arts; Friends of the Garden Theater, Michigan Legacy Art Park;
- Charlevoix, $73,250: Beaver Island Cultural Arts Association, Beaver Island Historical Society, Charlevoix Circle of Arts, Raven Hill Discovery Center;
- Emmet, $202,287: Bay View Music Festival, Blissfest Music Organization, Crooked Tree Arts Center, Good Hart Artist Residency, Great Lakes Center for the Arts, Great Lakes Chamber Orchestra, Harbor Springs Festival of the Book, Voices Without Borders;
- Grand Traverse, $346,860: Arts for All of Northern Michigan, City Opera House Heritage Association, Interlochen Center for the Arts, Northwest Michigan Arts & Culture Network, Northwest Michigan Ballet Theatre, Northwestern Michigan College/Dennos Museum Center, Old Town Playhouse, Parallel 45, Traverse City Dance Project, Traverse Symphony Orchestra, National Writers Series of Traverse City;
- Leelanau, $61,500: Glen Arbor Arts Association, Leelanau Community Cultural Center, Great Lakes Children’s Museum;
- Manistee, $78,210: Historic Vogue Theatre of Manistee; Ramsdell Regional Center for Arts.
Minigrant project awards include:
- Archipelago Project for its summer music leadership academy (Grand Traverse)
- Forest Area Public Schools for summer band camp (Grand Traverse)
- Grand Traverse Pavilions for its summer Concerts on the Lawn series (Grand Traverse)
- Justice Peace Advocacy Center for a mural at the Commongrounds (Grand Traverse)
- Little Traverse Choral Society for choral concerts in 2022-23 (Emmet)
- McLaren Northern Michigan Foundation for original art in McLaren public spaces (Emmet)
- Missaukee District Library for elementary school arts programs (Missaukee)
- Music House Museum for fall educational programming with The Moxie Strings (Grand Traverse)
Minigrants for professional and organizational development were awarded to:
- Beaver Island Historical Society (Charlevoix)
- Blissfest Music Organization (Emmet)
- Forest Area Community Schools (Grand Traverse)
- Good Hart Artist Residence (Emmet)
- Great Lakes Children’s Museum (Leelanau)
- Old Town Playhouse (Grand Traverse)
A listing of all MACC grant recipients (excluding minigrants) is available on the Michigan Arts and Culture Council website at:
- Awards by County: https://www.michiganbusiness.org/4a65a6/globalassets/documents/macc/fy23-funding-plan—county.pdf
- Awards by Program: https://www.michiganbusiness.org/4a65ae/globalassets/documents/macc/fy23-funding-plan—program.pdf
For questions about Region 2 minigrants or the Northwest Michigan Arts & Culture Network, please contact Mary Bevans Gillett, Region 2 Regrant Coordinator and NW Michigan Arts & Culture Network Convener/Director at 231-883-8388, firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.nwmiarts.org.
# # #